Home | Contact Us

Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ) 

Was a Policy amended recently to allow students to use cell phones at school?

No; use is still prohibited. Although both use and possession of a cell phone were formerly prohibited outright, the January 2003 revision of Policies 5.1812 and 5.1813 prohibits use and discourages posession by listing cell phones as "articles disruptive to school," and section (4)(a)(iii)(G) of those Policies makes it clear that: "If students possess a cellular phone, it should be turned off and kept inside a book bag, purse, or similar container, and it may not be used (and may not be allowed to emit any ringtone or other noise) [at any time] on school grounds or during any school-sponsored program or activity, including school transportation." Violation of these restrictions will result in confiscation of the phone and can also result in other consequences such as loss of extra-curricular privileges, an in-school intervention program, or in-school alternative to suspension.   Note: Pagers remain prohibited outright, pursuant to state law.


How does a District department get a contract reviewed for legal sufficiency?

Please use PBSD 1733, "Request for Document Approval by Legal Services," in OmniForm as a coversheet with the contract. As stated on the form, please provide a specific date needed (not "ASAP") and allow two weeks for review and approval. Please be prepared to implement the changes recommended by the contract-review attorneys.


How can a student file a complaint about an incident alleging harassment or discrimination?

Please review the summaries (in Creole, English, Portuguese, or Spanish ) of School Board Policies 5.001 and 5.81 follow the process there, using the forms below:

Student Complaint Report (this form is to be used by students filing formal complaints of alleged harassment/ discrimination under Policy 5.001 or 5.81). Witness Statement (the purpose of this form is to provide accounts of alleged incidents of harassment/ discrimination with form PBSD 1615 (see above), under Policy 5.001 or 5.81.)


Can the Legal Department advise me, as an individual citizen, parent, or student, about my legal issues?

No. The client of the Department of Legal Services, Office of Chief Counsel, is the School Board of Palm Beach County, and the Office also provides legal advice and services to the administrative staff of the School District in the scope of their duties for the School Board. We do not provide legal advice or representation to persons in their individual capacity as citizens, students, or parents.



About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | ©2009 Office of The Chief Counsel