e-agenda.NET

Workshop 10-10-12
October 10, 2012


Public Opening
1. Time 2:40pm
2. Attendance

Minutes: 

District 1 Monroe Benaim – Not Present

District 2 Chuck Shaw - Present  

District 3 Karen Brill - Present

District 4 Jennifer Prior Brown - Present

District 5 Frank Barbieri - Present

District 6 Marcia Andrews – Not Present (tried listening by phone but didn't work)

District 7 Debra Robinson - Present

Also present were Superintendent E. Wayne Gent; Chief Academic Officer Janis Andrews, and General Counsel Sheryl Wood.

 


Call to Order and Pledge of Allegiance
3. Chairman Barbieri

Minutes: 

Chairman Barbieri led Pledge of Allegiance.


Opening Comments
4. Chairman Barbieri

Minutes: 

Chairman Barbieri introduced Dr. Fishbane from the Health Department who requested for questions to be left for the end of the presentation due to starting a little later than planned.  Superintendent Gent welcomed Dr. Fishbane and her crew.  Ms. Andrews is in Miami in a conference and will try to connect to meeting via phone.  Ms. Andrews introduced Dr. Fishbane as well.


Workshop Item(s)
5. School Health Advisory Council
Attachment: Workshop agenda 10-10-12 (1).pdf
Minutes: 

Dr. Fishbane mentioned that this meeting being scheduled onOctober 10th, which is unity day has been very appropriate.  Packets of this presentation will be distributed at the conclusion of this meeting.  Outline will proceed with tight schedule.

Mike Einstein from School Advisory Council presented and supports school communities providing programs and initiatives that promote social and emotional behavior for families.

Seth Bernstein is in subcommittee of SCHAC Mental Health Program. Introduced coordinator of Palms West/Columbia Hospital.  Mentioned it is very important that students can feel confident to speak of their concerns to an adult.

Dr. Lee addressed data provided and informed that School Police Baker Acts increased from last year and said Depression has also affected number of students and contribute to suicide too.

Mr. Oswald said that despite the strategies we have in place, there are still challenges we have to overcome.

Dr. Fishbane on behalf of SHAC acknowledged ability to work with school district.  Mental health impacts education.   Reported that 49% percent of buyllying occurred in middle schools, 31% in elementary schools, 12% in high schools, and rest of 7% in charters and alternative schools and 60% of disabled students experience harrassment in school. Large segment being prevention and inclusiveness outreach to families getting services available.

Ms. Klinek informed us that this District has been recognized for programs available in dealing with the problems as well as training of personnel and how to recognize social/emotional issues and how to refer students.  Need to provide more opportunity for counselors to address mental issues and follow guidelines.  Helful to put recommendations of this issue in school improvement plan so that it is targeted, build bulling prevention in schools, or maybe having a person in area office that address social/emotional needs.  Would help to have a pilot program with selective elementary schools. Mr. Oswald said there are already some pilot programd in some elementary schools.  Also said that we can have a lot of programs but we need to evaluate as to if they are making a difference. 

Chuck Shaw requested adequacy of those programs to serve needs of community and how is funding available.  Attended criminal justice committee and issue came up about access for outside agencies to retreat information about our students.  Initiate better communication in community.

Karen Brill expressed concern with 60% of students with dissabilities and LGBT students who report being bullied, maybe another pilot program should be available, students with invisible dissabilities tend to get picked out at elementary schools.  Go into classroom and do sensitivity training to students so they are educated about tolerance and explain differences.  Need to reach out, specially in younger years about the differences, can benefit later in life.  Baker Act numbers going up is not a good thing.  For bullying, when interventions don't work, do we move the victim or the bully per policy?

Mr. Oswald informed that every situation is unique and investigation takes place to understand entire process. Use number of tools to aid the investigation. Balance is a challenge since both cases are very involved.

Karen Brill informed of complaints from parents about students taken out of class or school and resentful since their child is being bullied.  Mental illness needs to be understood better, though is an ESE issue.  Children with anxiety, bipolar, etc. are not being understood, need to educate Principals better, specially during middle school when children do not want to go to school because of it.

Janis Andrews said that part of our obligation is to bring different training to administrators and finding funding for resources.  We need more training and more places to refer people since we now have more information about the issues in place.

Karen Brill asked that when reaching out to include the LGBT population since they are the highest at suicidal risk.

Jenny Brown concerned about the over 8% missed at least one day of school because of health issues.  What are we doing to identify as this happens?  What are we doing to find out if they are missing school because of this safety concern?

Mr. Oswald said we have a number of reports to access truancy issue, working with EDW to target on daily basis before a lot of absences are reported.  It is an issue where we have to do a better job.

Superintendent Gent informed that part of this workshop was to orient Board on partnerships we do have and we have been looking at recommendations and getting suggestions going forward.

Jenny Brown requested to be told next year, which recommendations have been acted on.  Superintendend to provide report sooner than next year on what is being done.  Some of these involve budget planning and it needs to be included in our future talks.

Debra Robinson said Dr. Fishbane needs to send us all a memo about what is happening in public health. Shortest answer is to support the school based team, which is where someone can see child has that many days missing and what is going on with student, that's the place where we get feedback and where students can be saved.  Teaching tolerance is important.  Find way to address cronic stress for different reasons.  Rate of hypertension highest because of racism, needs to be addressed.  LGBT children were pointed out and solution for each group of children needs a different support system, encourage administrators to develop support systems and not be afraid of microtargeting.  Some of our children with most risk factors are in alternative ed schools without school nurses, bring funding support for school base team (the answer for all of this).

Frank Barbieri informed that Dr. Bernstein's program was discontinued by CSC for schools, had a person that helped Principal identify students that needed that kind of service.  What is needed to get it back in place?

Seth Bernstein said they had 48 full time staff working in 7 elementary schools, worked closely and had office in schools but mostly worked in students' homes and where available 24/7.  Full funding was over $3 Million.

Frank Barbieri requested Superintendent for District to take a look at this initiative one more time since Board needs to consider the funding for next year.

Debra Robinson said they also cut HIPPY (early childhood), good example of how to create a study to get answer needed.  More psychosocial support needed.  Careful about partners who want data access, law enforcement has asked for access to TERMS and totally against that.

Superintendent Gent said we are establishing a joint meeting with CSC and School Board to review their resolutions to cover issues out there.

Frank Barbieri - If a parent or teacher or principal wanted to get help right away where do they start?

Dr. Fishbane said that depending on the issue, may be a 911 or a 211 call.  Step down progressively as to where issue is, in school, in community?  Hoping with this dialogue to make it a community issue not just having it fall on District.

Mr. Oswald said there is a link in our website leading to 211 and gives a list of agencies out there.

Debra Robinson said that School Base Team Leaders is more simple, they cannot solve all problems but if there is a person a the school, they are vested in that school, they can provide ongoing support and have conversation with different agencies, they are the go to person.

Frank Barbieri said  we may need one of those in every school.

Jenny Brown requested that each school's web page provide a lot more accessibility to parents and families.  Right now there is only a generic e-mail and if there is an issue with a child, sending an e-mail to generic e-mail address is not feasable.  We need to have e-mail, phone numbers right on web page of every Principal, Assistant Principal, Counselor, School Based Team.  Have an e-mail directory and not make it hard for parents and stakeholders to get in touch with anyone.

Debra Robinson pointed out that right now there are at least 3 or 4 votes to have a School Based Team in every school.

Marcia Andrews (via phone) agreed with School Based Team request.

Karen Brill requested to have a School Based Team discussion item at a later workshop and vote on it as well.

6. Race to the Top - RttT-D
Attachment: RttT Board Presentation 10-10-12.pdf
Minutes: 

Superintendent Gent informed that this grant application will be brought back next week for a vote.  CTA is here also and we will have some Q&A at the end of presentation. 

Janis Andrews informed that 20 of these grants will be given out and it is different from Race to The Top grants issued in the past.  The new grant is more about students and aimed at classroom and relationship between educators and students. TERMS/EDW and all reports that we have would be into one place and one sign on and be able to see information so that parents, teachers and students itself can look up information.  

Jenny Brown said that retooling of school counselors creates a bigger need for that position in each school.

Frank Barbieri showed concern about counselors not having time to do this.  Would like Administration to back it up instead of having them figure out how to make it work. Also concerned about Substitute situation and teachers pulled out of classroom on regular basis. 

Karen Brill heard complaints from some teachers about Learning Teams being replaced.

Superintendent Gent said that staff developemnt for each grade is different.  State standards are followed.

Debra Robinson said she is glad to see CTA at table and said that having teacher coach be someone from school as opposed to being someone from District is very important and would like to continue conversations on how to improve practices. 

Superintendent Gent explained that the concept of LTM and area support is to build capacity in school.  We have made gains from having this program and it has been successful in most schools. 

Debra Robinson said that flawing teachers/students with standards takes away from the fun and they loose their artistry.  Recreating artistry is important.  Children who most need engaged enthusiastic teachers are the ones suffering with teachers that feel most flawed.

Debra Wilhelm said there is some resentment from teachers in how they are expected to do something different when they have been successful already, but they are willing to take suggestions. 

Debra Robinson reiterated that success cannot be just based on gifted kids with high levels, all children should rise.

Janis Andrews said Board will be engaged to sign off on final grant and teachers union will participate and municipalities and information will be taken out to reach out.

Karen Brill said that regardless of how grant application turns out, this is a very healthy conversation which lets us concentrate more on school based teams, not a one size fits all. 

Superintendent Gent said that environment needs to be created, even if set of standards needs to be met.  We need to support teachers so they can reach standards and students can benefit.

Janis Andrews said that one of the requests at Learning Team Meetings is to look at data with a sense of support not punity.  Teacher Leader comes in and brings their personalization based on teachers' dialogue. 

Jenny Brown said that we are hearing from Board that there is a place for mentors and their objective is to building capacity in a way that allows teacher their own artistry and engage student.  We need to pursue peer to peer mentors.


Adjourn
7. Time 5:00pm






Secretary

Chair