|School Board Meeting 04-17-13 at 5pm|
Agenda Item #43
PR4 Interlocal Agreement-Palm Beach County Sheriff
- The Palm Beach County Sheriff's office (PBSO) recently purchased an acoustic surveillance system referred to as Shot Spotter with a goal to reduce and or eliminate gunfire in the Belle Glade community.
- Shot Spotter is a system that utilizes electronic sensors to detect and pinpoint the location of a gunshot by triangulation within 30 seconds of the gunshot being detected.
- PBSO has requested access to School District Instructional (ITV) towers to install electronic sensors approximately 12 inches in diameter and 6 inches in height. The sensor will allow the communication of data via a cellular modem.
- Approval of the sensor(s) installation will allow PBSO to immediately share the information and or data with the School Board Police. Immediate notification to School Board Police will increase student safety by facilitating a swift school lock down status, if needed.
- The term of this Agreement shall be five years and may be renewed with the mutual consent of both parties for four 5 year renewal terms.
- Section 15 of this Agreement is not in compliance with School Board Policy 1.092 4D, however, staff consulted with the Inspector General (IG) office and the IG is comfortable with the language given the specific circumstance of this Agreement being very low risk for potential fraud, waste and or abuse.
- Each sensor placement request will require the review and approval of School District staff for building and code compliance and real estate requirements.
- The Sheriff will be responsible for all costs associated with the installation, operation, repair and maintenance of the electronic sensors and related equipment.
I recommend the School Board approve the Interlocal Agreement between Palm Beach County and the School Board of Palm Beach County to allow access and utilization of School District Instructional Television communications towers for the placement of electronic sensors to locate the origin of gunshots to facilitate public safety; and authorize the Chairman and the Superintendent to sign all necessary documents.
Kristin Garrison (email@example.com)
The Palm Beach County Sheriff's office shall be responsible for any and all costs associated with each sensor placement.
Attachment: Sheriff's Electronic Sensor Tower ILA 2013-3-25 executed by Sheriff.pdf
Attachment: Sheriff's Electronic Sensor Tower ILA Legal Checklist.pdf